With pro-cure views, the money on research prevents autism from being seen as a way of life, but rather as a disease. Billions of dollars are going into the research of autism, while there is yet to be a consensus on the cause, and there are no specific findings on a cure. Through this fact alone, the idea of acceptance and awareness should be at the forefront.
It is through personal experience that I see the reactions of people when they see a child with autism acting out, or doing something out of the ordinary. The reactions of those who have not been directly affected by autism are what continually prove the lack of understanding that our society has. A parent of one of the children I provide services to told me all about the struggles of bringing her child out into a society of people who misunderstand the nature of autism.
“I feel like people can be so ignorant. When I bring my child to the doctor’s office, of course he can’t sit still. He likes to flick the light switches and investigate everything in the waiting room. To me, this is typical child behavior, but then I see the looks. The parents look at me like ‘Man, control your child.’ The thing is, they have no idea. They judge without anything to back it up”
It is statements like this that bring into perspective the gravity of the situation; the complete absence of awareness and acceptance. It is important that we improve the lives of those with autism, while also helping those who do not understand it take on a different view. Those who do not have children with autism, or do not even know someone with autism may find it difficult to empathize with others. By allowing these so-called “outsiders” to understand the issues, a sense of awareness can be achieved.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment