Today I felt so blessed.
On a typical day, I go to homes and work one on one with my kids. The children work so hard...it's like having a full time job. I teach them all kinds of skills including reading and writing. But today, I got to take my little one out into the community for a play group. It was amazing to get to see him interacting with others; saying hi to the other kids with no hesitation; sharing his puzzle pieces with other normally developing children. It can be scary going out into the community for the first time because you are never really sure how a child will react to certain situations. The key is to never second guess...always have confidence in your child. There may be some speed bumps, but what child doesn't experience this?
I actually laughed to myself when I realized how worried I was about going to the play group. He has such an amazing personality for such a little boy. The teacher at the play group let the kids pet a chinchilla. My little one was incredible. He walked over to the animal so brave, (typical boy trying to act tough!) but he pet the animal with such ease. You could see him take notice to all the fine details like the fur color and the tiny feet. He waved his arms in excitement, and laughed so loud when the whiskers tickled his cheek.
I get so excited when I see my kids take new steps and make such progress. I love that I get to be involved in so much of their lives because I get to witness their growth from month to month, even day to day. You would think that with such hardships to overcome, they would be unhappy, but this is far from the case. I can actually say that on most days I am envious of their joy.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment