Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Breaking Stereotypes

We all have those preconceptions about anything and everything in life. While these stereotypes are something that we learn with time and experience, it almost seems as if they are embedded within us from birth. What makes us put such narrow descriptions onto a community of people with such depth?

What do you think of when you hear the word "autism?" Many people feel that those with autism cannot funtion "normally" in society (whatever that means); that they make strange noises; that they simply have a disease that should be cured.

It's strange for me when I hear people make such remarks because it is pure ignorance that is the root of it all. I can admit, that with many things in life, I have these preconceived notions. That is how I know that ignornace is what keeps us from never discovering the facts and truth. I might be on the same boat now, if not for the fact that I was given such an amazing opportunity to work with children with developmental disabilities and provide them with services to live healthy and fulfilled lives.

I truly believe that our main focus should not be on finding a cure. So much time and energy is put into trying to fix this "disease" rather than helping society to gain acceptance and awareness for this diverse community of individuals. Those with autism are amazing people. They have such joy and passion; they take notice to the smallest things in life and take time to appreciate all of this. I wish I could have even half of the love and passion that they do. I'm amazed everytime I work with an autistic child. With such communication struggles that they face, they manage to laugh so hard, hug with such love, and live with such meaning.

"If I could snap my fingers and be nonautistic, I would not - because then I wouldn't be me. Autism is part of who I am." -Temple Grandin-

No comments:

Post a Comment